Monday, January 16, 2012

I Also Have A Dream


Earlier today, I was listening to a political discussion on T.V. They were talking about the South Carolina primary. The comment was made that there are some people who are against President Obama simply because he is a black man. I know that it's true, and it makes me sad and angry.

If someone doesn't like his politics, I have no problem with that. If someone doesn't like the things he has done, I am fine with that. But to be opposed to the man simply because of his race... I do not understand that.

In the Jewish Yom Kippur service, there is a confession of sins. One is sins of xenophobia, which is dislike of those who are foreign or different. I was reminded of that last week when one of the presidential hopefuls spoke negatively of Jon Huntsman because he can speak Chinese. What is negative about speaking a different language? It's a big world out there, and we all need to live in it. We can't just live in our own little bubble.

This is my creed:

No comments: