Sunday, January 29, 2012

It's Complicated


Oh Dear, I'm having the high-tech blues again! Sometimes it would be a relief to go back to the good old days of analog.

I've had my laptop, router and printer for six years. I went to the Apple store and bought them at the same time so they would all be compatible. Now my laptop is showing signs of old age... already! I went back to the Apple store recently and described the symptoms of my laptop. They told me it sounds like the "motherboard" was going. Apparently that's a sign that I need a new laptop. So maybe I will get a new laptop. Then I asked whether a new laptop would be compatible with my old router. When I told them what kind of router I have, they told me it was an antique. Wait... it's only six years old! Same with my printer, of course. I might as well buy the entire package over again... laptop, router and printer. Then I would have to take a class to learn how to use them. Wait a minute... before I can use them I have to know how to set them up and connect them all to each other and to my cable service. I don't have a tech savvy kid to do these things for me! So, if you notice I'm not posting or commenting for a while, maybe it's while I'm in transition. I'm not in a hurry to do it, but I guess I have to before my motherboard gasps its last breath.

First, I learned to blog. Then I learned Facebook. I never have learned Twitter. Now my computer keeps telling me that there is a new version of iTunes I need to download. I've been resisting because I don't think I would know how to use it. Apparently if I download the new version of iTunes, my music will go to "the Cloud". What does that mean? Do I want it in the Cloud? Where is the Cloud? I have no idea.

Now, just the last couple of days, people I see on T.V. news keep referring to something called a "hash tag". I have no idea what a "hash tag" is. Should I be using it? Will I be unable to function without it? I am still figuring out how to use all of my new appliances. I think I have the fridge, microwave and stove figured out, but the dishwasher has me stumped. Now I also have to figure out the Cloud and hash tags? I need help!

6 comments:

rachel said...

You need a Young Person......

Bearette said...

An example of a hash tag is this: "I'm so happy that the Patriots are going to the big game. #superbowl." The #superbowl bit is the hash tag. It means that someone looking up the superbowl will find your comment (supposedly). I think people use them mainly to make little asides.

judy in ky said...

Yes, Rachel, I certainly do need a young person. They seem to understand all of this instinctively. Not I, who grew up with rotary phones and T.V. before remotes!

Thank you, Bearette. You are a very helpful Young Person!

Bearette said...

Ha. I am 36, but thank you :)

Susan said...

speaking of young people ?
what about those nieces ??

judy in ky said...

You're right, Susan. I will have to recruit them. They have been a big help with my digital camera, for one thing. I'm going to ask them about the "cloud".