Sunday, August 14, 2011

Things I Am Loving This Week


I loved this book, and I've been looking forward to the movie. I saw the movie Friday, and I loved it too! The cast was wonderful and brought every character vividly to life.

First, Emma Stone, who plays Skeeter. I have loved her since I saw her in "Easy A". She is adorable and such a great actress.


Alison Janney plays her mother. She does a wonderful job, playing a woman struggling with illness and memories.


She wants her free spirit daughter to conform to the expected behavior of young ladies of the era in Mississipi society. Here, she fixes her up for a date.


The date is just one scene where Emma Stone makes us love Skeeter, as she deals with her less than gentlemanly date.



Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark and Octavia Spencer as Minny Jackson were heartbreakly real in their characters.


Bryce Dallas Howard was wonderful as wicked, hateful Hilly...


...and Sissy Spacek was hilarious as her batty mother.


Before I saw this movie, I had never heard of Jessica Chastain. Wow! She was fabulous as Cecilia Foote. Very touching and very funny. Oh, and Mary Steenburgen and Cicely Tyson are in it, too. I really enjoyed it.

In my spare time, I have been reading this book:


It's about an American family living in Berlin during the 1930s, as Hitler comes to power. The main characters are the American ambassador to Germany and his flighty, naive and reckless daughter. It's interesting and thought-provoking. I am now halfway through the book, and the ominous feeling is building.

3 comments:

Susan said...

In the Garden of Beasts is on my to-read list and ordered from the library - do you know about the site goodreads.com ? a great place for book lovers to keep track, met others & find out about so many possible "next great reads". xo S & les Gang

http://www.goodreads.com/

judy in ky said...

Oh thank you, Susan. I did ot know about it, and I will certainly check it out.

Bearette said...

I tried reading that book and it freaked me out so much - i had to stop! he's a good writer, though.