Monday, October 20, 2008

Cleaning House




Cleaning day! I have to be in the mood, and today I am in the mood to clean. This doesn't happen very often so I have to act when the mood hits. Guess which of the pictures most resembles me cleaning? Well, at least they are both smiling!

It all started yesterday when I was looking for a cookbook. We still have unpacked boxes in the basement, nearly three years after we moved here. I had not used this cookbook for a while so thought maybe it was still packed. I looked through four boxes of books... no luck. There were other boxes under these boxes, so I moved them out of the way to look in the next layer of boxes. Well, three hours later I had moved about a hundred boxes (well, maybe fifty)! I found old, outdated telephones, old outdated computer parts, two boxes of old shoes and two boxes of old boots. There were tools I couldn't identify, empty picture frames, my grade school report cards, pictures from my parents' wedding in 1945, and lots of old newspaper articles I had saved. What a haul!

Of course I had to go through everything and decide what I couldn't live without. I accumulated a couple big bags for the trash, a couple for Goodwill, and a couple to try to sell. The stuff I decided to keep was rearranged in an orderly fashion so I could find it later. It looked so much better in there that I decided to keep going. When I emerged upstairs three hours later, I was exhausted, sweaty, and calling for a gin and tonic. My husband made it for me, I drank it, and I crashed for the rest of the night.

Today, I have renewed energy and still feel like cleaning. Look out world! I don't get in this mood very often, but when I do, I am motivated! Maybe I will even find that cookbook today!

No comments: