Thursday, January 24, 2013

Katie 1/15/01 to 1/23/13


This is Katie.  We adopted her in Philadelphia, then we moved to Kentucky and adopted three feral cats. She adapted quite well to having three new cats in the household, but she never let them forget who was boss.  Katie was the "diva" cat, queen of her domain.   I could never persuade my husband not to feed her tidbits from the table.

We named Katie after a song my grandmother used to sing to me:

"K-K-Katie, K-K-Katie, you're the only g-g-girl that I adore;
when the m-m-moon shines over the cow shed, I'll be waiting at the k-k-kitchen door"

Wednesday morning we were reading the paper in the living room.  Suddenly we heard a piteous yowling from the other room.  We ran to the kitchen and found Katie lying on the floor.  It was clear that she was in pain.  We took her to the vet, who told us she was "throwing clots".  I didn't know what that meant.  The vet said it was like a stroke, that there were blood clots going to her legs and she couldn't stand up.  I asked her if that was causing the pain, and she said yes.  She told us it would not get better, so we decided to have her put down rather than die slowly and in pain.  I know that anyone who has had to do this will understand how we felt.  We had to say goodbye to Katie.

Katie will be missed.  The other kitties were looking around for her last night.  I could tell they knew something was amiss.



7 comments:

Bearette said...

Rest in peace, Katie.

judy in ky said...

Amen.

FatSmartAndHappy said...

So sorry for your loss.

littlemancat said...

Sorry to hear of this, Judy. She was a beautiful kitty and well loved, so glad you were close by when she needed you.
Mary

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Judy, I am so sorry.
I am glad you were there,
to see that she needed help...
a small, worthwhile comfort.
Rest in peace, Katie.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read of this sad experience Judy.
You and your husband looked after Katie well to the last.
Farewell to your dear Katie. No more suffering. They become so close to us don't they.

judy in ky said...

Thank you all for your comments. Katie had a good life with us, and I am glad we were nearby to hear her distress call. It happened so suddenly. The day before, she was fine, and she slept on my bed that night.