Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More About Beets and Eggs


When I wrote about the beets and eggs I have loved since I was a kid, I'm afraid I forgot to tell the whole story.  They aren't just beets and eggs, they are pickled beets and eggs.  I forgot to tell you about the pickling part.  That's because when I make them, I just use beets that have already been pickled and put the hard boiled eggs in with them.

This is what I use.  I just put hard boiled eggs in with these beets and the juice; the next day, I have red eggs.  The longer you leave the eggs in the juice, the deeper into the egg the red part goes.


There are many recipes online for pickled beets and eggs.  It's an old-fashioned recipe that is said to have originated with the Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch people.  As I mentioned, my grandmother always made them for Easter.  She wasn't Amish; she was actually Irish by ancestry, but she was old-fashioned.

Here's a typical recipe if you want to make them from scratch:

1 lb. sliced beets (either cooked fresh or from a jar or a can)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water if you use beets with juice from a jar or can; or else water you cooked the beets in
1/2 tsp. cinnamon is optional; some recipes call for allspice; I think my grandmother may have used cloves

I gave the impression in my prior post that you just put the eggs into beet juice; I forgot about the pickling part because the beets are already pickled when I make them.

Does this make any sense?  I hope so!

1 comment:

littlemancat said...

I am now so hungry for those eggs! :)- and I was just up in Lancaster county today. Maybe next time.
Oh, and I've even seen buffalo wing pickled eggs- think I'll stick to the red beet eggs, though.
Mary