Sunday, October 7, 2012

Choosing A Charity

I get mail from dozens of organizations, both charitable and political, asking for money.


This morning I laid some out on the kitchen table...


and some on the counter.  This isn't all of them; these are just the ones I've received recently.  Here are some examples:

The Salvation Army

City Gospel Mission

ASPCA

The Humane Society

Best Friends Animal Society


PETA

The USO

Greenpeace

Planned Parenthood

Politics

I can't give to them all!  How to decide?  Well, in some cases I am already familiar with their work.  In addition, I try to read the information they send to get an idea of their purpose.  If I decide to consider them, I look them up on the internet.  I found a site called "Charity Reviews, Ratings and Guides" which is done by the National Better Business Bureau.  There is also a site called "Charity Navigator" where you can read about each charity.

Does anyone else have any ideas about this?  Do you throw them all out immediately?  Do your read them?  Do you have any favorites?  I wonder how other people handle this.

6 comments:

Bearette said...

d gives to oxfam, results, care, obama and peta. (hunger, politics and animals)

judy in ky said...

Well, I have been giving mostly to animal welfare and rescue. Obama and Bernie Sanders.

judy in ky said...

Oh yes, and the Salvation Army.

Anonymous said...

I vary different organizations yearly with our monthly donations -Christian Blind mission 1 year, Greenpeace the next. This year is Amnesty International. That way I feel I can try to share our charity donations somewhat.
As we don't go to church, our long-term finacial committment over many years is to a sponsored child in Ethiopia through World Vision. That has bought joy to both sponsor and sponsored.
Requests can get overwhelming so I stick to one organization for the year plus our sponsored child. Easier that way. Hope it might help your dilemma!

judy in ky said...

Pam, I like your idea of choosing one each year. The requests do get overwhelming.

Dorispinto1001 said...

I am Doris used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes…i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (priests meruja); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps
for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn’t mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I’m sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him as nativedoctor101@live.com He travel sometimes.love marriage,finance, job promotion ,gambling voodoo,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,it’s all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
more. his cell phone number 5182932141 !