Sunday, May 9, 2010

Music That Makes Me Cry... In A Good Way

Was anyone else listening to NPR this morning, when Terry Gross was interviewing Burt Bacharach and Hal David? I pulled into my driveway and left the car running, so I could listen until the interview was finished. I have always loved Burt Bacharach and his music. His music makes me happy. That whole era when I was younger had so much great music. I have always loved Henry Mancini's music too. Such melodies from these men! There is nothing like it today.

Burt Bacharach: a beautiful man who wrote beautiful music:



Anyway, back to my car. They were playing Burt Bacharach's music from "Promises Promises". I would love to see the revival of that show on Broadway; although, no one could take the place of Jerry Orbach. I wish I could have seen him in the role. They played a recording of Jerry Orbach singing the title song "Promises Promises". I have always especially loved that song. The melody and the energy it contains! The orchestration is beautiful. Jerry Orbach singing that song was totally incredible! That's what made me cry. That he is no longer alive. That I never got to hear him sing it in person. That it made me so happy that I just wanted it to go on forever.

I finally came into the house and started looking up Jerry Orbach's career online. So many people these days know him only from "Law and Order" on television. He was so much more than that. He starred in so many wonderful Broadway musicals: 42nd Street, Chicago, Promises Promises, The Fantasticks. I found videos on YouTube. As I watched and listened to him singing "Lullaby of Broadway" in 42nd Street, I was swept away... it was so amazing. He sang and danced so beautifully. I wish I could post it here, but I can't figure out how to upload videos from YouTube and get the onto this blog.

Jerry: Orbach on "Law and Order":


Jerry Orbach On Broadway:


If you have never heard Jerry Orbach sing, go to YouTube and look up his "Promises Promises" title song. Such a wonderful voice! While you're at it, look up him singing "Lullaby of Broadway" from "42nd Street" and stick it out to the end to see the whole number. He sings. He dances. The whole cast sings and dances. It's fabulous! (Did I mention before that I love Broadway musical shows?) Oh, and "Chicago" (the original from 1975). He plays Billy Flynn, and he even strips during the "boo, boo, boo" song with the feather fans... I never knew that before!

What a morning! I got all distracted and spent an hour listening to all this music and watching videos. I was laughing and crying all at once. Music just gets to me!

No comments: