Thursday, September 24, 2009

Blocked!!


I have writer's block. I have artist's block, sewing block, quilting block, every kind of creative block. I have oodles of materials: old quilt squares, cutter quilts, a huge fabric stash, needles, thread, embroidery floss, canvas, acrylic paint, mod podge, boxes full of clippings and ephemera for collage, and more. But I can't do anything with it. I have no spirit to move me. I have no confidence in what I can do. I go into my craft room and just look at everything. I pull out pieces that interest me, but nothing comes of it. I have little stacks of half-inspired ideas sitting around. I fiddle, but nothing seems right.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Do I need to increase the dosage on my anti-depressant meds? Or are the meds sapping my creativity? A fire has gone out inside of me. I still function in my life. I get up, get dressed, shop, cook, have conversations, take care of my nieces, look out for the kitties, both inside and outside, drink wine with my husband... all the normal things of life. I just can't satisfy my creative urges. They are there, but it feels like they are taunting me... it's weird. Is this normal? Will it go away? It's maddening. Maybe I should just put all the materials away, out of sight and forget about them for a while.

8 comments:

Bearette said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes a walk or a swim can help.

judy in ky said...

Hi! It's raining so much here that I may be able to take a walk and a swim all at once!

Bearette said...

Nice ;)

rachel said...

Maybe some company will help? Find a sewing/knitting/crafting group? The encouragement and enthusiasm of other like-minded people can be so uplifting when you're stuck like that.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am just coming out of depression from my mother's death in 2006 and dad's in 2007. It is difficult.

Give yourself permission to play.
I went to our local fall fair and saw amazing quilts. I was not inspired to create one, mind you. I just don't do that! But we anticipate colder weather and rain...perhaps something will come!

Unknown said...

Oh, I have been there before. With the block and the medicine. It's a tough place and I do think the medicine takes something away creatively.

Maybe put the materials away so you don't have pressure, and just wait until something moves you. Come by and see me any time, at least for some fun pictures.

Good luck!

Susan said...

I like Rachels idea - join a class or workshop. Learn some new technique and be stimulated by other's ideas.

Borrow Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way from the library. A well known book for tapping into one's own creativity and/or just play with collages or quilting, don't put so much effort on the end result and try to just enjoy the process.

I never find stopping it all, putting stuff away and waiting for creativity to bonk me on the head "ever" works for me. I believe that you have to play/work your way "through" a block.

xo S.

judy in ky said...

Hey All... thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am going to look up that book, Susan. And I will look for a group to join, too, Rachel.
Amy, I will be visiting your blog.
Thanks, friends! I will let you know how it's going.