Friday, May 22, 2009

Happier...














I've been reading a book called "Happier" by Tal Ben-Shahar. He teaches a course in happiness at Harvard. It contains some very practical suggestions... nothing too "pie-in-the-sky" or mystic or anything.

One suggestion is to just write down the things that you love/want/need to be happy. Here is my list:

trees
pets
to be near an ocean
collecting shells
yoga
drinking wine with friends
a private pool to just float in
a cool, shady spot when it's hot
a roaring fireplace when it's cold
a lanai
a "Randee/Darla"

I have to explain the last one. When I was in junior high and high school, my best friend was Darla. She was outgoing; I was shy. She was confident; I was not. She initiated things, and included me in them. I would not have had half the fun I had in those years if it had not been for Darla.

When I lived in Philadelphia, my "Darla" was Randee. She is outgoing and loves to have fun and take others along with her. She is the best friend a person could have. We could talk for hours. We went on adventures together. She initiated trips, parties, get-togethers, and I went along and enjoyed life. I miss her. I don't have a Randee here.

6 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I like your list.
((hugs))

judy in ky said...

Thank you Natalie... I like hugs.

Susan said...

You must learn to your own Randee/Darla ... we must. Our own M. Invincible. Happy long weekend.

Jenn Jilks said...

This must be the day for happy. I did a blog post on this topic! :-)

I like this post...the shots are great!

Anonymous said...

I love that Harvard students need a course on Happiness. You mean getting into Harvard and being able to pay for it doesn't make you happy enough?

judy in ky said...

... and all I needed to do was read the book!