Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sentimental Me



Does anyone remember a song from the 70s called "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree"?

It was sung by Tony Orlando and Dawn. Remember them?



The other day I was in my car and listening to Sirius radio (which I love). It was probably on the 70s on seven station because they played that song. It had probably been at least 25 years since I had heard it. In case you don't know the lyrics, it was about a man riding home on a bus. He had been in prison and hoped his girlfriend was still waiting for him. He had written her a letter saying "if you still want me, tie a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree". If he didn't see a yellow ribbon he would "stay on the bus, forget about us, and put the blame on me." I had forgotten the words in the final line of the song. "The whole damn bus is cheering, they can't believe what they see... a hundred yellow ribbons on the ole oak tree".

When I heard that I burst into tears, right there in my car, driving down the road. "What's wrong with me?" I thought. I was crying happy tears over that song. Sentimental me!

See if it affects you the same way.



That clip was a recent performance, about thirty years after. If you want to see what they looked like "back in the day" check this one out! (They cut the ending off, though, I don't know why.)

No comments: