Saturday, May 5, 2012

Storm Shelters and Bomb Shelters

Having lived in "tornado alley" for a number of years, I have seen my share of tornadoes. As you may know, the vast majority of tornado deaths are among people who live in mobile homes. A mobile home is one of the worst places to be in a tornado. They are picked up and twisted and torn apart. This March we had a particularly bad batch of tornadoes near us in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. My husband and I heard the sirens and knew we had to take shelter. We are lucky to have a home with a basement. When the tornado sirens go off we head to the basement. It got me to thinking, what about those who live in mobile homes; where can they go?


What about shelters, like the one in this photo? Why can't they have those in mobile home parks?

I have seen them. Some years ago, I visited Israel and stayed on a kibbutz for a couple of nights. The kibbutz was near the border with Lebanon, so it wasn't unusual for them to have rockets shot at them from across the border. When they showed us to their guest house where we were to stay, they also showed us where the bomb shelters were. Below is a picture of a bomb shelter on a kibbutz in Israel.


It occurred to me that mobile home parks should have storm shelters, similar to the bomb shelters in Israel. It would save lives, without a doubt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very very important Judy. Makes a person seriously wonder where the priorities in life are placed.

kristinahojholt said...

I must show some appreciation to the writer just for rescuing me from this particular problem. Because of surfing around through the the web and getting thoughts that were not powerful, I believed my life was over. Living without the presence of approaches to the problems you have sorted out as a result of the posting is a crucial case, and the ones which might have adversely affected my entire career if I hadn't encountered your blog. Your own personal know-how and kindness in controlling all the pieces was precious. I am not sure what I would've done if I hadn't come across such a subject like this. I can also at this time relish my future. Thanks a lot very much for the reliable and result oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to endorse the blog to anybody who would need guidance about this area. storm shelters texas

kristinahojholt said...

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and outstanding style and design. steel storm shelters texas

Unknown said...

This can be a decent post. This post give really quality data. I'm certainly going to investigate it. Truly exceptionally valuable tips are made here. much obliged for your requirements to this extent. Continue the acts of kindness..steel tornado shelter texas