Saturday, April 9, 2011

More of My Favorite Things


I have always loved this chair. It is called Thonet Chair Number Nine. I don't have one, but would love to have several one day. The originals are collector's items and pretty expensive.

I do have another original Thonet, the bentwood rocker. I bought it in 1968 and have taken it with me ever since. I lived near Cleveland at the time, and went down to a warehouse on the docks where it had come in on a ship from Poland where it was made.


I also have this table designed by Mies Van der Rohe. It is part of the Barcelona Collection. They tend to be pretty expensive, but I got mine at a warehouse sale at a reduced price because it has a chip in one corner of the glass. I still love it, though; I like the clean lines. It's very heavy; the glass must weigh about fifty pounds!


The chairs in this photo (shown with the above table) are also part of the Barcelona Collection. I have always liked them too, but have never owned one. Back in the 70s I knew a couple who had them in their living room, where I found out they really are very comfortable.


All this started when I took a design class in college. That's where I learned to love all this "modern" furniture (although they were all designed some time ago; I think the style is called "mid-century modern" now).

No comments: