Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tired


I'm tired this week. I feel overwhelmed. I think it's a combination of having a cold and a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I need more sunlight, but it's been raining for a couple of days. Today it's snowing. Oh no, winter! If I could only live in Hawaii. My mind is still back there in the sunshine.

Also, the thought of Christmas is looming. All the decorations, gifts to wrap, food to cook, shopping to do. I think I'm beginning to take on my father's famous "bah humbug" attitude about Christmas. I really hate to say that because I know it's such a joy for so many people. I hope I snap out of this mood and get into the holiday spirit. Things just seem so hard these days. I want to cut back on the budget, but all the kids want are expensive electronic toys. I think part of it is the rampant materialism. Watching kids on Christmas is getting a bit depressing. They look for packages with their name, open them, then go on to the next thing. When there are no more, they look around like "that's it?". Well, yeah, I can't afford many of those expensive things you love so much.

My niece makes me guard her Uggs when she goes in to gymnastics practice because it's well known that they will be stolen if she leaves them in a cubby. They have to have their electronics engraved with their names because they are likely to be stolen. All of this "stuff" obsession of kids is getting to me. I'm trying hard to get rid of a lot of the "stuff" in my own life. I would love to just live in a cottage on a beach, have a tiny wardrobe, and go barefoot every day.

4 comments:

rachel said...

Oh dear! I could have written this post recently - a cold drags you down so much, and colours everything in depressing shades of grey.....

I'm not looking forward to Christmas shopping either: nobody listens when I plead for restraint and not adding to the excess of 'stuff' that I too am overwhelmed by!

Get lots of rest, and as much daylight as you can (no sunglasses!) and plan that next trip to Hawaii!

judy in ky said...

Yes, I was wondering whether a cold should drag me down so much; I'm so grateful that you understand.

There is one thing that always brightens my day... reading your blog and seeing what your lovely gang of pets is up to!

John said...

November can be such a bleh month, grey and newly cold. Perhaps it's lingering in KY. Here's hoping for some sunny days for you soon.

"Sunshine" said...

I understand.....
At this time of the year I am glad my family is small; two children and four grand-children, plus my small family in Norway...I can handle that, but barely...
I do not use my credit card at all, but had to dig into my savings for some extra cash. It pains me!!!!!
Good to visit your blog.