Friday, June 5, 2009

Yad Vashem

Today, President Obama is visiting Buchenwald. I am watching the telecast from there with tears in my eyes.

It reminds me of the time I visited Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Memorial in Israel. It is impossible to walk through Yad Vashem and not be changed. Tears flow easily and the mind reels as you witness the images there. Here are a few photos from Yad Vashem.

The first photo shows President Obama laying a wreath during an earlier visit. This photo was taken in the Hall of Remembrance. It is built with boulders from the area surrounding the Sea of Galilee. The Eternal Flame burns continuously. The stone monument in front of the flame contains ashes of Holocaust victims that were gathered from concentration camps.





2 comments:

Bearette said...

I like how he's wearing a yarmulke.

judy in ky said...

I thought that, too. It shows respect.