Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An Uneventful Day

I appreciate an uneventful day. No surprises; no disasters; no confrontations or controversies. I am waiting for the results of my latest medical test... a PET scan. We are still trying to find out why I had a series of fevers up to 102, and why I have swollen lymph glands. After the test on Monday, I was nervous. What would it show? Would it change my way of life? In the days since, I have put it out of my mind and I have gone about my days as usual.

Yesterday I babysat my three nieces, as I do every Tuesday. The oldest, Sarah, is concentrating on gymnastics. She is attending a gymnastics camp every day from 9:00 to 3:00. The camp is an hour and fifteen minutes from home and someone has to take her in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon. Then, she has a three-hour private lesson from 4:00 until 7:00. Her two younger sisters have regular gymnastics classes from 6:30 to 7:45. It's a pretty big job taxiing them all where they have to be.

Today I did some shopping for birthday and Father's Day gifts. I ran errands (bank, post office, library) and was happy to be out and about, driving my car and getting things accomplished. If I had to be in a hospital, these are exactly the things I would wish I could be out doing.

This evening, while I was preparing dinner my husband called me outside to look in our next-door neighbors yard. Under their deck were five newborn kittens, all solid black and huddled together. My neighbor is not at home; her husband was taken to the hospital two nights ago and she has been staying there with him. Now I am worrying about those kittens. My husband says there is nothing we can do, but they look so helpless. One of them sat up and looked right at us (they are old enough to have their eyes open). I wanted to pick it up and take it home, but of course I didn't. I hope their mother is still around to care for them. I keep going outside to check on them.

Right now I am watching "Stargate SG-1," the one with Richard Dean Anderson. I like it... it's sci-fi that doesn't take itself too seriously, and it has some likeable characters in it.

So, that's it. I don't have anything very interesting to say today, but I wanted to document an ordinary day.

4 comments:

pierre l said...

There is definitely something to be said for having an ordinary day.
I hope your PET results are good when they come.

judy in ky said...

Yes, I don't mind ordinary days at all!

Susan said...

Can you not call your local animal shelter ?? (cat/dog rescue organization) - I too would be sick with worry and concern

judy in ky said...

Susan, I'm not sure what to do. Their mother is there taking care of them for now. I don't know what our local animal shelter does with stray cats. I will look into that. Someone told me there is a lady who particularly looks after the cats. I hope that is true.