Friday, February 6, 2009

Why Do I Do This?

I have been thinking about why I keep this blog and what it means to me. It's not possible to put all of my thoughts into a coherent narrative, because they come to me in random bits. So, here are a few of the random bits:

1. I don't do this to make money. That would make it feel too much like work. At this stage in my life (which I would call "late middle age") I have spent enough years trying to please other people in order to get them to give me money. Here, I can write what I want, when I want.

2. I don't do this for recognition. I see awards being passed out, and bloggers campaigning for "blogger of the year" or whatever. Again, at this stage in my life, I am not interested in competition. Those days are behind me.

3. I don't want to specialize. I write whatever is in my mind on a particular day. It doesn't fit into any category. I love reading all kinds of blogs. I have hundreds of blogs on my bookmarks list, and they are quite varied in subject matter. I love the visual blogs that are full of photos: interior design, architecture, art, crafts, photography. I equally love reading blogs with no photos at all: poetry, story telling, personal narratives, day-to-day life, streams of consciousness. In my own blog, though, it could be just about anything on any given day. Some days are mellow and I notice the beauty all around me. Other days I feel like venting.

4. I don't understand all the bells and whistles. I don't know how to make a sidebar. I don't know how to change my template. I don't know how to count hits or keep track of those who visit my blog. I just enjoy each individual as they come along. I would like to be able to add bits from YouTube and create links to other sites, but don't know how. I don't "belong" to any groups, or officially "follow" any blogs. I do have a list of favorites that I read every day. I love them, but I don't know how to "subscribe" to them.

5. I value those "kindred spirits" with whom I carry on a regular dialogue of comments. I would love to be able to meet them in person one day.

6. I try not to get too political. I have very strong feelings about issues and some days I am just bursting to write about them. Sometimes I have written about them. I would write about them more, but I don't want to stir up controversy or start up arguments that can never be resolved.

7. I love getting glimpses of what life is like in other parts of the world. It just amazes me that bloggers are everywhere on this planet. I believe what Saint Augustine said: "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

6 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love your reasons and I love your blog. Write on!

judy in ky said...

Thank you, Natalie.

Susan said...

Just in case you might like to play around Blogger has LOTS of help items, even video tutorials. Don't feel intimidated it's actually all fairly simple. Have fun.

xo S & les Gang

http://help.blogger.com/bin/topic.py?topic=12439

judy in ky said...

Thanks Susan, I'll use the address you gave me and try it.

Jenn Jilks said...

You know, Judy, these things make sense. One really needs a clear picture of why one blogs.

I began doing it to do some daily writing. I liked sharing photos and events with my children, who live in other cities.

Then I wanted to share information I learned in writing my book. Other than this information, I have refrained from those AWFUL, annoying Google ads...

Then, I began ranting, that required another blog.

There is much research that recommends writing as therapy. This is a good thing, and free! Plus it keeps like-minded spirits in sync!

anya said...

One of my best pleasures of writing a blog is yours...the back and forth comments of the regular readers. I am feeling like I know this group of people and like you I would like to meet them some day. Byrd who comments on my blog often lives in England. Two or three times a year, a group of blogger friends there get together. It sound like fun. Of course, England is smaller geographically and the travel would not be as much of an expense, I suppose, of here. Still...