Thursday, February 12, 2009

Quilting Weather

Yesterday we were under a tornado watch. Thunderstorms were headed our way from the west; it was the same weather system that caused deadly tornadoes in Oklahoma the day before. Our tornado sirens went off a couple of times. I took this picture of the sky outside my back door. See the little bit of rainbow? And the clouds? We had a bit of everything in a 30-minute time period. It got really dark, there was some lightning and thunder, then high winds swept through, followed by a short hail storm. Finally, the sun came out. That's when I took this photo. The clouds were receding and the sun was coming out. There was a weird kind of light on everything.


This is the kind of weather when I decide to stay indoors. I was in my basement, where my sewing room is. I worked on some of my cutter quilt squares while I was there. This one will become a pillow, once I decide on a fabric to make a ruffle for it:


Here is another one in progress:


The little electric fireplace was warming the room. I had flashlights, candles, and battery-powered lanterns with me in case the power went out. I had my three cats lounging about to keep me company. I could hear the wind howling outside, but it was quiet and cozy inside. It was a day to stay inside and work on quilts.

3 comments:

anya said...

A great place to sit out tornado watches and warnings, Judy. I remember those from living in the South. Scary at times.

I adore that red polka dot quilt. For some odd reason I'm unreasonably drawn to polka dots! The fabric looks so soft.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love those moments when uncertainty is whirling outside, but inside we feel secure and prepared... aware of the things that make our lives dear. Your cutter quilt pieces look very pretty.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love days like that--as long as it's not too too bad outside. Cozy inside, and with cats? Perfect! The quilts look great, and I love that rainbow photo!
Becky