Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ah, Winter!


Here we go again! It's snowing today, it's supposed to snow more tomorrow, and more this weekend. It's only January, and we have already had four times the snow than in a "normal" winter.

I'm not complaining, though. It's much worse in the deep south, where they don't have the road-clearing equipment that we have here. It's going to be much worse on the east coast, where they are expecting blizzard conditions (again!). It's also worse in Australia, where they are having serious flooding, with a "tsunami-like" wall of water sweeping through the country.

I'm retired now so I don't have to worry about getting to work. I feel sorry for people who are out there, fighting traffic on the interstate because they have to get to work. If there is an accident that blocks the road, they can be stuck for hours. I used to take the train to work, so I didn't have to worry that much about driving. I lived a couple of miles from the train station so it was easy. Sometimes I would worry about getting back home, if the trains were delayed by the weather, but that didn't happen very often.

Now I have to worry only if it's Tuesday. My sister works on Tuesday, so I have to drive across town to pick up my nieces after school. If they have a snow day I have a longer day with them.

My husband works at home when he isn't traveling. He travels about fifty percent of the time. Then we have to worry about flight delays and closed airports. The last time we had a big snow, he was in San Diego. While I was looking out the window at seven inches of snow, he was talking to me on the phone while he sat at a table outdoors, eating lunch in 60 degree weather. Of course, people in San Diego thought it was chilly. But I did wish I were there with him at that moment.

I have lived in snowy places all my life. I have lived in the Chicago area, and in northern Ohio, and in Philadelphia. They all get their share of winter weather. Some day I would like to live in a place where snow is a rarity. Oh well, just rambling on a snowy day... but, as I said before, I'm not complaining (much).

No comments: