Sunday, August 15, 2010

A New Beginning


I am starting over. I considered changing my name to "Renata" which means "reborn" but I decided that a name change was a bit excessive. But that's how I am thinking of myself... reborn. I am going to change my body and my mind.

I grew up to be a "good girl" which at the time meant to be quiet, polite, and self-effacing. My parents were strict. I learned to follow orders and never talk back. When my mother took my sister and me to a store, we had to walk with our hands behind our backs and not touch anything. We were not allowed to ask for anything. We were not spoiled; quite the opposite. We ate what my mother cooked. No "picky eaters" in our household. There was no such thing as instant gratification. We waited and saved our allowance for things we wanted.

What a different world we live in now! American society is hyper-competitive. In many situations it is the individual who puts himself first who gets ahead. In order to be noticed, one must "blow his own horn". You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't get me wrong. I don't intend to be selfish or pushy. But I think I need to stop being quite such a door mat. I have to get a back bone. I have to start voicing my opinion.

As far as the body is concerned... where do I begin? I am out of shape. I get winded going up a flight of stairs. Too many parts of my body jiggle. I don't exercise. Well, that is going to change. I am going to get some form of exercise every day. I am going to go back to Weight Watchers principles of counting my points. I went to Weight Watchers some years ago, and I lost weight. That weight has gone back on in the years since. I've been eating too many sweets and too much ice cream. Those things are not going to come into my house anymore.

There are things in my life that I want to happen. Instead of wishing they would happen, I am going to do all I can to make them happen.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hey there Renata,

Rock On !! 'cause ya know ...
Anything & everything is possible

with oodles of love & support
xo S & les Gang

Bearette said...

I recommend yoga. It has really helped me eat more mindfully and stay fit as well. I've been doing it for 6 years now...

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Renata, sign me on!
Can we look out for one another?
@Bearette... yoga... yoga keeps popping up and I am slow to take action, but I just know the universe wants me to jump in and try it.

rachel said...

And all of us, including this over-managed child who grew up to be assertive enough to get by, are right behind you. You have nothing to lose, and so much to gain!

How did the clutter-clearing go, BTW?

judy in ky said...

Yes! Let's all look out for each other. I love the company and the support. Over the years I have "dabbled" in yoga, but never really stayed with it. It does resonate with me, though, and I am going to go back to it more seriously. I think the universe wants me to try it too, Natalie.
Rachel, I did really well with the decluttering for a while, then fizzled out when it got so hot. I am going back to it with a vengeance.
Susan, Bearette, Natalie, and Rachel... thank you all for being there.