Monday, February 3, 2014

Creationism vs Evolution - A Debate


That green arrow on the map is pointing to Petersburg, Kentucky.  It's the location of the Creation Museum, which opened its doors in May, 2007.  The museum was created by a group called "Answers in Genesis".  Why is there a dinosaur superimposed on the map?  Because inside the museum there are exhibits featuring dinosaurs living side by side with man.  Let me explain:

The president, CEO and founder of the Creation Museum is Ken Ham.  He's an Australian and a young-Earth creationist.  He founded the group "Answers in Genesis", which advocates a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis.  The museum teaches that the earth is thousands, not millions of years old and that God created earth, animals and humans in six 24-hour periods as stated in Genesis.



There are exhibits and dioramas depicting scenes from Genesis, showing humans living alongside dinosaurs.


The Creation Museum has been extremely popular, drawing visitors from everywhere.  Many families bring their children here, especially those who homeschool.


Why am I telling you all this?  Because tomorrow, February 4th a debate is taking place at the Creation Museum.  Ken Ham, who rejects the idea of evolution, is going to debate Bill Nye "the science guy" about creationism vs evolution.  I know nothing will be decided by this debate.  I know it might be more or less a "circus".  However, it might be interesting so I thought I would point it out.  It will begin at 7:00 pm EST and you can watch it on nbcnews.com, msnbc.com or livedebate.com on YouTube.

Science vs Faith.  Evolution vs Creationism.  It's hard to believe this is happening in the 21st century.

*** Added a day later:

I was reading on Huffington Post this morning some reactions of people when hearing about this debate.  I have to agree with Matt S. that by agreeing to this debate, Bill Nye may be lending unwarranted credibility to the creationists.  I hope Matt S. doesn't mind if I quote him.  This is what he said:

"Debating creationists is like playing chess with a pigeon.  They'll knock all the pieces over, crap on the board, then fly off to their flock and declare victory."

7 comments:

littlemancat said...

Your last sentence says exactly how I feel. I truly cannot see why science and so called religion can't co-exist peacefully. There are some things that cannot be agreed upon, but surely evolution is beyond question, please! Must stop now. Feel a rant coming on.
Mary

judy in ky said...

I know how you feel, Mary. I tried not to rant.

the veg artist said...

Someone obviously missed the Sunday School lesson which said that the stories in the Bible are meant to be taken 'in the spirit of things', not literally. I wonder which other Bible snippets are taken literally in the houses of these folks? Woman created from the rib of Adam?

judy in ky said...

I know, artist, it's scary to think of it.

Anonymous said...

I watched a television program on this Kentucky Creation Museum last year. Weird.
Unfortunately Australia has it's fair share of weirdos and fundamentalists - pity that you had to suffer with the painfully- embarrassing and misguided Ken.
Hopefully we made up for inflicting him on your country with the delightful Hugh Jackman.

judy in ky said...

I'm not sure how Ken decided to build his museum here; maybe because we are in the "Bible Belt" and there are many here who are receptive. (One reason I'm a bit out of my element here.)
Yes, Hugh Jackman does make up for a lot… he is delightful!

rachel said...

Matt S. - fabulous comment!

Thanks for sharing it - reduces the intense irritation somewhat to have a laugh at the end!