Monday, October 14, 2013

I Survived the Yard Sale


I took part in a community yard sale over the weekend.  It was held in the parking lot of the Country Administration Building.

We each got one parking space in which to set up our sale.  I was surprised how much "stuff" could fit into one parking space.



There were lots of families shopping, and many children looking for something special.


All kinds of things were for sale.




I sold some dishes:
And some toys:

A local flavor was evident.



The yard sale was to begin at 8:00 a.m.  We had from 6:00 to 7:30 to set up.  My husband and I got up at 5:30.  We had loaded up two cars the night before, one with tables and the other with our merchandise.  I hardly slept the night before because it was all running through my head.  We got to the spot at 6:30, while it was still dark and cold. They had all the lights on in the parking lot so we could see as we set up.  Before the sale was over at 1:00 it was sunny and warm.  One man bought all my handpainted china.  Another man bought 17 vintage Fisher Price little people. Those were very popular.  Many parents brought their children over to pick out Beanie Babies.  I was surprised how many people still like them.  No one bought any Fenton Glass or Depression glass.  I guess I will put that on eBay.  Over all, it was a good experience and fun for people watching.  It was a lot of work, though.  I think it would be a lot easier to have it at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics! Was looking forward to seeing them - its a lot of work when you consider the setting up and packing away but an experience worth having. Did you buy anything from other participants?

judy in ky said...

I did! I bought a hat box with pictures of Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh and all their friends, the original version not the Disney ones. The woman who sold it said she had it as a little girl. I'm really going to keep hats in it.